In celebration of the Lunar New Year, tonight our dinner table was a parade of the bold flavours and textures, and subtle nuances of east asian inspired dishes.
T woke up at the break of dawn and enjoyed a peaceful morning wandering the streets of Chinatown, where as the sun rises one can watch the fishmongers scoop up their freshest picks for the day. The butchers taking the first few swings of their cleavers. The smell of roasting meats filling the streets as the BBQ Duck and Pork is prepared for lunch. A smell that inspires T. A smell that could not be resisted, and a smell that needed to be recreated at home.
On the menu:
- Crispy Roasted Pork Belly, and ‘Char Siu’ Marinated Pork Tenderloin Lettuce Wraps
- Carrots and Cioppolini Onions roasted in Spicy Pork Fat
- Pickled Carrot and Fennel slaw with Mint, Cilantro, and Ginger
- Chili, Sesame and Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Snap Peas
- Chicken/Shiitake/Cabbage Potstickers
- Shiitake and Miso Broth
- Steamed Rice with Fried Shallots and Garlic
- Dark Chocolate Mousse with Banana Butterscotch, Whipped Coconut, and Salted Sesame
Chili, Garlic, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Coriander, Black Pepper, Szechaun Pepper
Grinding the Spices
Scoring the pork belly to allow even cooking, and making it easier to cut once crispy
Seasoning the scored pork belly with the spices and chinese cooking wine.
Pickled Carrot and Fennel Slaw with Mint, Cilantro, and Ginger
Chili Garlic and Sesame Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Snap Peas
Tofu and Dark Chocolate Mousse with Banana Butterscotch, Salted Sesame, and Whipped Coconut Milk